But, What About the Inside?
It. Is. Time.
I was about 22 years old and had achieved the best body of my young life. Having been a young girl tortured by the scale, at war with food, and completely ruled by the "never good enough" spell of the mirror, this was quite a feat for me. Finally, I no longer felt like a "mutant woman". At long last, I wasn't crushed by the shame of having a body that society considered less-than ideal. I'd worked hard for it, too. My then-boyfriend was a fitness enthusiast and in bang-up shape himself, and he and I took an interest in working out together. With his well-intended guidance and my fierce determination to change the way I appeared, I was down 25 pounds, bursting with toned biceps, and was in a size 6 for the first time ever (besides, possibly, when I wore size 5/6 jeans for approximately 4 seconds as a sophomore in high school - but that doesn't count). I bought a triangle-top bikini, like I'd always dreamt. I got "looked at" by guys in the way I longed for them to look at me (make no mistake, I wasn't looking for another boyfriend, I was just desperate for reassurance from as many sources as I could get it). I didn't any longer have to duck out of the conversation with girlfriends when the topic turned to sharing clothes. I could (and did, with boatloads of pride) shop with ease from the single-digit size shorts section at Marshall's. I had arrived, and it showed.
People commented on my new appearance seemingly everywhere. "Wow, are you a runner?" they'd ask. At the gym, men were mesmerized (or disgusted?!) by the veins in my forearms (thanks, genetics, I look like Arnold between the elbow and the wrist!). Women in line for lunch would ask how I got so toned. My coworkers were looking for diet advice. And, truth be told, I was probably offering some advice to people who weren't looking for it at all. One day at work, a wonderful friend and coworker struck up a conversation with me I'll never forget. It went something like this: "Hi Geri, I saw you all dressed up last night, you looked beautiful," my kind and wise friend noted. I must have offered some kind of awkward reply. Something like, "Yeah, huh, thanks...I've just been working out really hard.." fell out of my mouth. What I was thinking and what I said were probably two very different stories. Then my friend, with all the love in her heart, said, "You really got the outside figured out, now you just need to work on the inside."
"Wait, what?!" I said to myself. "What about the inside?" I wondered, as this question pinged around the deepest, darkest depths of me for a millisecond and returned with an answer. My memory has abandoned the rest of the actual conversation I had with my sage and compassionate friend. But, the only answer that I could accept at the time was that there was clearly nothing wrong with the inside and that I'd obviously had it all figured out. Oh, and that she was crazy.
Although pride and other mountains in my mind wouldn't allow me to face it back then, there's a hollow place deep in me that took that question in. It penetrated my soul profoundly. So much so that almost half my lifetime later, I can still feel the insecurity well up in me when I go back to that moment. I remember exactly where I was standing, what I was wearing, and who was there when we spoke. The question would be pivotal for me. What about the inside? I know now that the answer is love, and now it is time to explore the chasm between the question and the answer.
I was about 22 years old and had achieved the best body of my young life. Having been a young girl tortured by the scale, at war with food, and completely ruled by the "never good enough" spell of the mirror, this was quite a feat for me. Finally, I no longer felt like a "mutant woman". At long last, I wasn't crushed by the shame of having a body that society considered less-than ideal. I'd worked hard for it, too. My then-boyfriend was a fitness enthusiast and in bang-up shape himself, and he and I took an interest in working out together. With his well-intended guidance and my fierce determination to change the way I appeared, I was down 25 pounds, bursting with toned biceps, and was in a size 6 for the first time ever (besides, possibly, when I wore size 5/6 jeans for approximately 4 seconds as a sophomore in high school - but that doesn't count). I bought a triangle-top bikini, like I'd always dreamt. I got "looked at" by guys in the way I longed for them to look at me (make no mistake, I wasn't looking for another boyfriend, I was just desperate for reassurance from as many sources as I could get it). I didn't any longer have to duck out of the conversation with girlfriends when the topic turned to sharing clothes. I could (and did, with boatloads of pride) shop with ease from the single-digit size shorts section at Marshall's. I had arrived, and it showed.
People commented on my new appearance seemingly everywhere. "Wow, are you a runner?" they'd ask. At the gym, men were mesmerized (or disgusted?!) by the veins in my forearms (thanks, genetics, I look like Arnold between the elbow and the wrist!). Women in line for lunch would ask how I got so toned. My coworkers were looking for diet advice. And, truth be told, I was probably offering some advice to people who weren't looking for it at all. One day at work, a wonderful friend and coworker struck up a conversation with me I'll never forget. It went something like this: "Hi Geri, I saw you all dressed up last night, you looked beautiful," my kind and wise friend noted. I must have offered some kind of awkward reply. Something like, "Yeah, huh, thanks...I've just been working out really hard.." fell out of my mouth. What I was thinking and what I said were probably two very different stories. Then my friend, with all the love in her heart, said, "You really got the outside figured out, now you just need to work on the inside."
"Wait, what?!" I said to myself. "What about the inside?" I wondered, as this question pinged around the deepest, darkest depths of me for a millisecond and returned with an answer. My memory has abandoned the rest of the actual conversation I had with my sage and compassionate friend. But, the only answer that I could accept at the time was that there was clearly nothing wrong with the inside and that I'd obviously had it all figured out. Oh, and that she was crazy.
Although pride and other mountains in my mind wouldn't allow me to face it back then, there's a hollow place deep in me that took that question in. It penetrated my soul profoundly. So much so that almost half my lifetime later, I can still feel the insecurity well up in me when I go back to that moment. I remember exactly where I was standing, what I was wearing, and who was there when we spoke. The question would be pivotal for me. What about the inside? I know now that the answer is love, and now it is time to explore the chasm between the question and the answer.
Wow! This is wonderful. Very well writen. Where do I subscribe? I can't wait to read more. I love you geri!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that you enjoyed it! Here are the instructions from Google:
DeleteFrom the blog's Follower's widget
1. In the blog that you want to follow, look for the Followers widget.
2. Click Join this site.
3. Sign in with your Google account.
4. In the window that appears, choose to follow publicly or privately.
5. Click Follow this blog.
Thanks a bunch! I'm looking forward to reading more of your 'words' soon as well!
dear girl, your last observation of me was absolutely correct. Who looks at each individual soul as rock and it's only by life ups and downs does the whiteling start the journey of getting rid of all the unnecessary preconcieved notions passed on to us by other rocks in need of whiteling. I believe we suffer, we joy, we lose bits of this falling rock to get to the center, which is when we are closest to God and it's only love that remains. We take a lifetime getting over ourselves and with each decade we know less and less, except that love is the most necessary soulfood and it is imperative it be your main diet. I am now 64 and know with absolutely, I know absolutely nothing. View, judge everything through the eyes of love and know that "today me, tomorrow you" we are all just God's children, no bad, no good just unknowing with each day, we are being whitteled away to our very core of God's pure love and acceptance.
ReplyDeleteI have been told by so many different people my words have touched their hearts, I can only guess my core is in sight, Jesus has made sure I voice my journey. Thank you for taking the time to share your journey, I am so happy and grateful for the opportunity. One step closer...
So proud of you, Susan.
Susan, thank you so much for your thoughts, words, wisdom, kindness. I'm so grateful to be able to share my journey and that you're part of it!
DeleteI am so excited for you and the journey that is ahead of you. Your writing is raw, poignant and filled with truth. You will bring hope and encouragement to do many here in this space. I will be praying a covering over you as you take on this calling.
ReplyDeleteShelley, how awesome that we are reconnected after all these years! He is so good! Thank you so much for your comment and your prayers.
Delete"Never good enough" and "a hollow place deep" inside of us - two areas for many of us where Jesus says we are worth it and he can fill us to overflowing. Look forward to reading more of your journey.
ReplyDeleteThat hollow place - I think God put inside us the desire to crave his infinite-ness...and the enemy would like us to believe that it can be filled with finite things of this world. I am praying for the un-crossing of those circuits inside my, and many others', hearts! Thanks, Rachel!
DeleteI think I've gotten to know a bit about your INSIDE and I LOVE what I see!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Barb! I'm learning to love it as much as you :-)
Delete